Virtual Summer Health Internship Program 2021
The Brooklyn-Queens-Long Island Area Health Education Center (BQLI-AHEC) Summer Health Internship Program (SHIP) is a six-week opportunity for underrepresented and/or economically disadvantaged high school and college students. This program exposes students to a variety of careers in the health field as well as various health issues affecting their communities.
The Summer Health Internship Program (SHIP) runs from Monday, July 5th through Friday, August 13th, 2021. For six weeks, selected participants are committed to working at their designated clinic or hospital for three days (3) a week from 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM. Due to the pandemic, this will be done virtually. In addition, there will be a mandatory workshop once a week.
The workshops will encompass a full day (9:30 AM to 3:30 PM) and will include: health-related lectures, job readiness skills, field trips, and other health-related activities. Selected participants are also required to take part of a team collaborated health-themed project. At the end of the program, the participants will be required to attend a mandatory closing ceremony, and present his/her final project.
Please Note: Student participants are off on Fridays (depending on their site)
The program provides:
- Exposure to health care professionals as workshop presenters
- Exposure to health issues affecting the Brooklyn, Queens, and Long Island catchment areas
- Regular interaction with health care professionals
- Newfound connections, job readiness skills, and insight into health care
- Mentorship opportunity
- Volunteer hours (120 hours upon completion)
Criteria for Participation
– Students must be 16-20 years of age by the start of the program.
– Rising Junior/Senior in High School or Freshman/ Sophomore in college.
– Permanent residence AND/OR attend school in Brooklyn, Queens, or Long Island
– United States Citizen or Permanent Resident Status
– Sincere interest in the health field
Must complete the entire Six-Week Program/Requirements:
– Three (3) days a week Internship at a Local Hospital, Health Clinic, or a Healthcare related Community-Based Organization
– One (1) day a week dedicated to Didactic Workshops
– Final Group Project Presentation
– New username
– Complete online Application
– Upload a 600 word essay (Microsoft Word doc.)
– Upload a resume (Microsoft Word doc.)
– Have your 2 recommenders each email your letter of recommendation, signed/esigned if possible to email@example.com by Sunday, April 4th, 2021 to the BQLI-AHEC’s office staff.
– One or both letter(s) from a school representative
– One from a community member/ employer
*** References cannot come from family members
*** Hand Delivered or Faxed Recommendation Letters Will Not Be Accepted
– Application Deadline is Sunday, April 4th, 2021 at 11:30 PM (EST).
– Only complete applications will be reviewed.
– Students will be notified for an Interview by Wednesday, April 21, 2021 via e-mail entered in the first part of the application.
Completion of an application for the internship program does not guarantee the applicant an interview.
Please click here to Apply