Summer Health Internship Program
The Brooklyn-Queens-Long Island Area Health Education Center (BQLI-AHEC) Summer Health Internship Program (SHIP) is a six-week opportunity for underrepresented and/or economically disadvantaged high school and college students. This program exposes students to a variety of careers in the health field as well as various health issues affecting their communities.
The Summer Health Internship Program (SHIP) runs from Monday, July 6th through Friday, August 14th, 2020. For six weeks, selected participants are committed to work at their designated clinic or hospital for three days (3) a week from 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM. In addition, there will be a mandatory workshop once a week.
The workshops will encompass a full day (9:30 AM to 3:30 PM) and will include: health related lectures, job readiness skills, field trips, and other health related activities. Selected participants are also required to take part of a team collaborated health themed project. At the end of the program, the participants will be required to attend a mandatory closing ceremony, and present his/her final project.
Please Note: Student participants are off on Fridays
The program provides:
- Exposure to health care professionals as workshop presenters
- Exposure to health issues affecting the Brooklyn, Queens, and Long Island catchment areas
- Regular interaction with health care professionals
- Newfound connections, job readiness skills, and insight into health care
- Mentorship opportunity
- Volunteer hours (120 hours upon completion)
Criteria for Participation
– Students must be 16-20 years of age by the start of the program.
– Rising Junior/Senior in High School or Freshman/ Sophomore in college.
– Permanent residence AND/OR attend school in Brooklyn, Queens, or Long Island
– United States Citizen or Permanent Resident Status
– Sincere interest in the health field
Must complete the entire Six-Week Program/Requirements:
– Three (3) days a week Internship at a Local Hospital, Health Clinic, or a Healthcare related Community Based Organization
– One (1) day a week dedicated to Didactic Workshops
– Final Group Project Presentation
– New username
– Complete online Application
– Upload a 600 word essay (Microsoft Word doc.)
– Upload a resume (Microsoft Word doc.)
– Mail two (2) separate sealed letters of recommendation with
signature across the flap in one package postmarked on or before Friday, March 27, 2020 to the BQLI-AHEC’s office.
Note: Long Island students need to send all documents by February 21, 2020.
Attn: Summer Health Internship Program
300 Cadman Plaza West, One Pierrepont Plaza
Brooklyn, New York, 11201
– One or both letter(s) from a school representative
– One from a community member/ employer
*** References cannot come from family members
*** Hand Delivered or Faxed Recommendation Letters Will Not Be Accepted
– Application Deadline is Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 11:30 PM (EST).
Note: Long Island students need to send all documents by February 21st, 2020.
– Only complete applications will be reviewed.
– Students will be notified for an Interview by Wednesday, April 8, 2020 via e-mail entered in the first part of the application.
Completion of an application for the internship program does not guarantee the applicant an interview.
Please click here to Apply