Summer Health Internship Program (SHIP)
The 2015 Summer Health Internship Application
is now Closed!
Please Check Back Again Next Year January 2016
The Brooklyn-Queens-Long Island Area Health Education Center (BQLI-AHEC) Summer Health Internship Program (SHIP) is a six-week opportunity for underrepresented and/or economically disadvantaged high school and college students. This program exposes students to a variety of careers in the health field as well as various health issues affecting their communities.
The Summer Health Internship Program (SHIP) runs from Monday, July 6th through Thursday, August 13th, 2015. For six weeks, selected participants are committed to work at their designated clinic or hospital sites for three days (3) a week from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. In addition, there will be a mandatory workshop once a week.
The workshops will encompass a full day (9:00 am to 3:00 pm) and will include: health related lectures, job readiness skills, field trips, and other health related activities. Selected participants are also required to take part of a team collaborated health themed project. At the end of the program, the participants will be required to attend a mandatory closing ceremony, and present his/her final project.
Please note: Student participants are off on Fridays
The program provides:
- Exposure to more than twelve health care professionals as workshop presenters
- Exposure to health issues affecting the Brooklyn, Queens, and Long Island catchment areas
- Regular interaction with health care professionals
- Newfound connections, job readiness skills, and insight into health care
- Mentorship opportunity
- Volunteer hours (144 hours upon completion)
The program will run from
Monday, July 6, 2015 through Thursday, August 13, 2015
Criteria for Participation:
- Permanent residence or attend school in Brooklyn, Queens, or
- Students must be 16-20 years of age by the start of the program.
-Junior/Senior in High School or Freshman/Sophomore in college.
- United States Citizen or Permanent Resident Status
- Sincere interest in the health field
- One or both letter(s) from a school representative
- One from a community member or employer
*** References cannot come from family members
- The 2015 Application Deadline is Tuesday, March 31, 2015
at 11:30 PM (EST).
- Only complete applications will be reviewed.
- Students will be notified of their status by Friday, April 10, 2015 via
e-mail entered in part 1 of the application.
Completion of an application for the internship program does not guarantee the applicant an interview.
Please Click Here to Apply