Summer Health Internship Program (SHIP)
The 2014 Summer Health Internship Application is now available
The Brooklyn-Queens-Long Island Area Health Education Center (BQLI-AHEC) Summer Health Internship Program (SHIP) is a six-week opportunity for historically underrepresented/and or economically disadvantaged high school and college students. This program exposes students to a variety of careers in the health field as well as to the health issues affecting their communities.
Participants will be expected to work at their designated sites three (3) days per week for five hours per day. In addition, there will be mandatory workshops once a week. These sessions will encompass a full day and will include lectures, field trips, and other health related activities. At the end of the program, students will be required to attend a closing ceremony and present a final project.
The program will run from July 7th through August 14th, 2014.
The program provides:
- Exposure to a variety of careers in the health fields
- Exposure to health issues affecting Brooklyn, Queens, and Long Island
- Regular interaction with health care professionals
- Newfound connections and job readiness skills
Students who successfully complete the BQLI-AHEC Summer Health Internship Program will emerge with newfound connections, job readiness skills, and insight into the world of health care.
Criteria for Participation:
- Students must be 16-20 years of age by the start of the program. Junior/Senior in High School or Freshman/Sophomore in college
- Permanent residence or attend school in Brooklyn, Queens, or Long Island
- United States Citizen or Permanent Resident Status
- Sincere interest in the health field
- Create a new username
- Complete online Application
- Upload a 600 word essay (Microsoft Word)
- Upload an updated resume
- Mail two (2) letters of recommendation in a sealed envelope
- One from a school representative
- One from a community member or employer
- References cannot come from family members.
The 2014 Application Deadline is March 14, 2014 at 11:30 PM (EST).
Only complete applications will be reviewed.
Students will be notified by April 11, 2014.
Completion of an application for the internship program does not guarantee the applicant an interview.
Please Click Here to Apply